Language Switcher

Xpert Access

1) How long does it take to complete bachelor and master studies in Europe?
A: In general, it takes 3-4 academic years to complete bachelor studies (6-8 semesters), whereas master studies, depending on the field of studies, range from 1 to 2 academic years (2 to 4 semesters accordingly).

2) Do I have to speak the native language?
A: There are English courses available for international students, so you don't have to speak the native language. If you prefer to Study in the local language of the country you will have to complete a language course before you start studying. Several countries provide tuition free education when taught in the local language.

3) Are any scholarships available?
Scholarship offers may be available in certain Universities. Most universities offer scholarship for international students after the first semester in the respective university. Full scholarships are also available based on merit and entrance exam results.

4) What do I need to enrol?
A: To qualify, all international applicants must first meet the minimum requirements for entry into higher Education in their own country, have a matriculation certificate or equivalent document; strong command of English (at least on an intermediate level) is also required. Some of the arts and physical education departments prepare students for the teaching profession, while medical and technical universities may organise additional aptitude tests. All graduates from European institutions of higher education receive a Diploma Supplement. The Supplement is Available free of charge and is issued in local language, and on request in other languages (English, German, French, Spanish or Russian).

5) When does the academic year start and end?
A: In most cases the academic year at European universities consists of 2 semesters of 15 weeks duration. The fall semester starts in the beginning of October and lasts until mid-February, with a two-week winter break and a one-week vacation period in February. Spring semester starts in mid-February and lasts until the end of June, with a one-week spring break. Summer vacation lasts from the beginning of July to the end of September.

6) Do I need to speak the local language fluently?
A: You do not need to as universities offer a large variety of study programmes in English. Nevertheless, you may opt to learn the local language either for private everyday use for the time you stay in Europe, or for joining a university course in the respective language.
In case you choose foreign language as the language of your studies, you will be required to prove your proficiency in the same before you start your studies. International students wishing to pursue studies in local language are required to have a strong command of the language, allowing them to understand lectures and other forms of tuition at the universities

7) Do I need a visa? If so, how do I apply for one?
A: EU/EEA students do not need any visa, however upon arrival to they should apply for a temporary residence permit if they stay in the country longer than 90 days. Non EU/EEA students need to arrive in Europe with a student's visa obtained at a respective Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. It is important to remember that visas are granted for a maximum of three months. In order to extend the stay in, it is necessary to apply for a residence permit for a specified period of time. Students are strongly urged to contact the International Relations Office of their university.

8) Why study abroad?
A: There are many reasons why study abroad programs are becoming so popular. For most international students, the appeal is likely to be a combination of gaining a high-quality education, experiencing immersion in a new culture (and often a second language), gaining a global mind set and expanding future employment prospects along with financial benefits.
For some, the prospect of leaving home and heading off into the unknown is daunting, but studying abroad is also an exciting challenge that often leads to improved career opportunities and a broader understanding of the way the world works. The type of experience you have during your time abroad will vary hugely depending on where you go, so make sure to pick a study destination based on your own personal interests as well as the country’s academic reputation, in order to keep a healthy work/play balance.

9) What documents are required to submit my application?
A: You may be asked to provide some supporting documentation as part of your application. Once again, requirements vary depending on the country and university but international students are often asked to provide the following:

  • Passport photos for identification
  • A statement of purpose
  • CV/résumé
  • Academic references/ letters of recommendation
  • Certificate and transcripts of your secondary education
  • Proof of English-language proficiency (e.g. a TOEFL/IELTS certificate, for schools in English-speaking countries), or other language test

10) Can I work part time?
A: Most countries legally allow part time work for 10-20 hours per week. This differs from country to country.

11) What are the arrangements for accommodation?
A: BTEC facilitates the accommodation for students on campus and off campus

12) Will I feel left out in a new country?
A: BTEC facilitates the pre departure training for students and parents to understand the cultures of the respective country helping them to cope with the new cultures and climatic conditions.

Student Services

Student Support

Corporate Office

Office No 1502
National Bank of Kuwait Building, Airport Road,
Abu Dhabi, UAE
800 BTEC
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.